Monday, March 23, 2009

Skirts for Lucy


Seams to Me Bo Peep Skirt, originally uploaded by stitchingpink.

The quilt store recently started carrying Bernina sewing machines and sergers. I've been drooling over them since their arrival, particularly the sergers. I have no need for another machine but a serger - well I would happily add one to my sewing room.

I wanted to try them out so I chose this project from "Seams to Me" by Anna Maria Horner. I finished the seams and the edges with the serger and then completed this skirt using a Bernette 56 which is a lovely and simple first sewing machine. I used leftover scraps from my samples of the Portobello Pixie patterns. The skirt is adorable! Even Lucy loves it but for now it is hanging in the shop as a sample.

I also made the following skirt for Lucy quite a while back. It's made using this super-easy pattern - it probably took only an hour from start to finish. I would be much much faster with a serger! My favorite part of the pic is the "matching" tights and Smurfette t-shirt.

Easy Skirt

So, I'm saving for a serger. My hope is to have it in my hot stitching hands by mid-summer, just in time to sew for the holidays and create my own winter wardrobe....

No comments: