Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Grommet Love/Grommet Hate

Summer Tote

I meant to post a pic of this sooo long ago but honestly I completely forgot about it. Oops. I love the bag and so do a lot of the employees and patrons of the shop but for some reason there are like 6 kits left (out of 9.) I seem to be having bad kit karma. Not sure why. My next one is going to be awesome (I hope) and will hopefully break my bad streak.

The pattern is from Stitch magazine and the fabric is Heather Bailey, of course. To be honest, I think that I was drawn to this bag because of the grommets. There are 8 total which means a lot of hammer use - an awesome way to work out pent up aggression. Not that I have any pent up aggression.... Anyway, I got a bit nervous because the anvil got stuck in one of them but fortunately it released. Now if some quilters would just buy the kit, I could take this bag home and carry some yarn or some other project around in it.

After I made this bag, I became so enthralled with grommets that I decided to use them in another bag I was making for a friend's 40th birthday. This time I wasn't so lucky. For the bag I used some "vintage" Amy Butler (circa 2006.) Cute fabric though a bit more bold than her latest designs. Anyway, after putting it together, I proceeded downstairs to the garage, grommets and hammer in hand. I got everything ready and inserted the grommets as instructed on the back of the box. A few whacks later I was ready to see the completed grommet but when I went to pull out the grommet tool thingy it was stuck. Horror of horrors. I pulled, tugged, banged from the other end but it would not budge one bit. At the time I was upset but mildly amused. Reminded me of Winnie the Pooh getting stuck in Rabbit's front door after eating too much honey but in this case, depriving the tool of food wasn't going to help. For some insane reason I decided to try again with another tool set and again, the whole thing got stuck. At this point I was really getting frustrated. I went upstairs, got my rotary cutter, whacked the top off and left the mutilated bag and the stuck grommets on the cutting table until I could stomach it again. A few days later, I decided to just put handles on the bag the regular way. My friend was none the wiser.

I look at my grommet collection every now and then, briefly considering that I should try them again. But for now, I'm a bit grommet shy.

No comments: