Monday, January 11, 2010

The Sewing Closet



The Sewing Closet, originally uploaded by stitchingpink.

I figured that it was about time to blog about the sewing room. I will post pictures every few days and provide details. This picture is of the actual closet. I removed the doors and painted the closet the same color as the room walls. The curtains are hung on a tension wire though I wish they were a bit higher. I used fabric from this designer to make them. I cheated and just serged the edges and then folded the top over. This way I didn't have to commit to a length.  I love that I can just close the "curtains" and tidy up the room when guests are staying or when I just want to curl up with a book and not be tempted by fabric!

The shelving unit is from The Container Store. It was a labor of love. The right side is all of the fabric somewhat organized by style. Unfortunately it's not as organized as I would like but that's because I'm constantly digging through it looking for just the right fabric for a project.  Underneath the fabric are the extra sewing machines: my mother's Singer from the '60's and Dorothy's featherweight. Above the fabric is one long shelf that holds batting and stuffing, etc.

The shelves above the dresser mostly contain books and embroidery tools. I also have three cases of old patterns. I've been going through them and have kept my faves and plan to post the remainder on etsy. I use the dresser for sewing notions/tools. The bottom 4 drawers are empty for guests.

The TV is not hooked up to cable so for the most part I don't watch it. I've found that I make mistakes if I sew and watch old Gilmore Girls or Masterpiece Theater DVDs. I do watch Martha when I can - I don't make as many mistakes with her on in the background! ha ha!

Oh and to the very left of the closet I left space for wrapping paper and I plan to hang a grid on that wall for ribbon, etc.

For the most part, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Any suggestions?

My lovely friend Sandy just sent me this link from BHG about craft rooms.  Great ideas!  Thanks Sandy!

No comments: