Friday, April 11, 2008

Sad News

My step-grandfather, Dorothy's husband, passed away yesterday - on their wedding anniversary. It has been just 5 months since Dorothy's passing. John has been in intense mourning since her death and so we believe that he died of a broken heart.

John was an incredibly kind and generous man. He was the only grandfather that I knew and although we were not blood-related, he treated me as his own and always made me feel loved. He adored Lucy and in turn, she showered him with adoration in the form of songs, dances, and hugs. I am so grateful that Lucy was able to know him and be loved by him.

Sadly, I don't think we will be able to make it to his funeral. Between the airline cancellations and my training schedule, I can't figure out how to get there by Tuesday. Lucy will want to visit the grave and so later this spring or summer we will make a trip out to Oklahoma.

I hope that John and Dorothy have reunited with their loved ones, wherever they are. Here on earth, we will miss them.

No comments: