Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Delights of Fall


Apple Pie after shot, originally uploaded by stitchingpink.

I love fall, absolutely love it! When I was growing up in Oklahoma, fall always meant the end of the summer heat - we could finally sit outside comfortably and enjoy the breeze coming off the plains. Plus, there's nothing as great as shopping for back-to-school. I still look forward to each fall fashion with all its tweeds, jewel tones and cozy sweaters. And, unlike winter, during fall one can enjoy the crisp air without bundling up in a coat and multiple other warm accessories.

Plus, the fall harvest. Now that I live in NJ, I have the opportunity to buy locally grown produce. Lucy and I go to our CSA each week and pick up our share of veggies and fruit. We look forward to each week, wondering what goodies await us at the farm stand. Last week we were delighted to find squash, pumpkins,, swiss chard, peppers, lettuce, beets, radicchio and more! And the tomatoes - we've been getting them for about 6 weeks and they have been sweet and juicy. Below is my latest collection of sauce tomatoes ready to be blanched and frozen for winter stew.

sauce tomatoes from the farm

In the last week, Lucy and I made two pies, a batch of applesauce and apple muffins. I bought Winesaps and Macouns at the Trenton Farmer's Market. The Winesaps were great in the pies and the Macouns were crisp and sweet treats. I"m hoping to get the Terhune Orchards to pick apples with Lucy tomorrow. As a child in Oklahoma I could never have imagined the opportunity to pick my own apples!

Apple pie before

And finally, a bit unrelated, here's a picture of my Tupperware pastry rolling mat. As young children and teenagers, my brother and I rolled out hundreds of batches of cookies and pastry on this mat. My mom gave it to me when I moved into my first apartment in Philadelphia more than a decade ago. To see Lucy's little hands working at this mat reminded me of my own childhood and the simple joys of cooking with my mother.

Tupperware rolling mat

Get outside and breath in the cool, crisp air. Enjoy.

No comments: