Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Stitch it Good Tuesday Topics


January is a month for both reflection and planning.  Today's show was focused on reflection.  The music played was pulled from playlists over the last few months and includes a selection of my favorite spins.  You can view today's playlist  here as well as look through my previous playlists.

The year started with the casting on of Beth's Shawl from Little Women.  I'm still knitting this lovely accessory using a combination of Hypnotic Yarn, Madeline Tosh and Cascade 220.  My goal is to cast it off the needles by the end of this month.  

Once we moved into the nation-wide lockdown, I began developing, hosting and teaching programs for Pennington Quilt Works, my local quilt shop.   The year's projects included a little hand-applique in the hoop, cross stitch, mask-making and stitching banners to decorate one's door.  The best part of these programs was creating with my friend Liz of Littlecolley Design

I had the great honor of interviewing many of my favorite creatives.  Some of the interviews can be viewed over on the PQW website.  Other's happened live during Stitch it Good.  

Lucy Kingwell, designer of the Smitten Quilt

Anna Maria Horner, fabric, quilt designer and owner of Craft South

Heather Ross, illustrator and fabric designer

Melanie Falick, author of Making a Life

Nicole Vogelsinger of Wild Boho

Jessica VanDenburgh, fabric and bag designer of Sew Many Creations

Joanna Somers of Plum Designs and Plum Stitchery Needlepoint

Molly Gaston Johnson, artist.  Find her on Instagram at GoMolly Mae.  As an aside, Molly did the most adorable "sketchy pet" painting of Mabel.  

Unsurprisingly, I managed to start a number of quilts and actually finish a few.  Anna Maria Horner's Wheelhouse Medallion Club was a favorite.  I also enjoyed stitching the Pen and Paper pattern Tiny Town (renamed from Won't You Be My Neighbor, for obvious reasons), and three (!!) Turning Twenty Quilts.   All were also programs through Pennington Quilt Works.

In my handwork club we stitched Judy's Dilly Bag and Tula Pink's Diamond Dust Pillow.  English Paper Piecing has been a love of mine for a number of years but it took a backseat in 2020.  Hoping to spend some time with this form of needlework in 20201.

Throughout the 2020 I continued to explore my love of visible mending with inspiration taken from Joyful Mending by Noriko Misumi.  

At some point during last year I decided it was time to teach myself how to crochet.  I've never been able to master this form of needlework and can safely say that I still haven't mastered it!  I'm almost finished with my granny square blanket and will probably spend the rest of my life crocheting the blanket from Sheepjes 2020 CAL.  Seriously.

On the show we talked about a lot of crafts but by far the most popular topic was crafting with vinyl!  I myself had fun making vinyl bookmarks and I love the pictures sent to me of vinyl placemats and stories of creating bowls from records!

The year ended with an entire show dedicated to gift wrapping.  Personally I had fun slowing down this year and enjoying the process of wrapping gifts for family and friends.  My favorite way to wrap gifts was using the Furoshiki technique of wrapping with fabric.  

I pulled out my double pointed needles and stitched up a few Christmas Balls during the delightful Arne and Carlos Sit and Knit for a Bit Christmas Countdown.  Carlos is continuing to battle the effects of Covid from his original illness in late March.  We are sending him lots of healing vibes.  

There continue to be a number of virtual programs and workshops for stitchers.  Check out Stitches at Home, Virtual Vogue Knitting Live, and Create DIY. 

Chawnee Timber and Bisa Butler inspired the quilting community and beyond with their quilts about social justice and the experience of the African American community.  I look forward to following their artistic journey in 2021.

Wow!  What a year.  2020 was a challenge for sure but crafting and community sustained me.  I look forward to 2021 and the music, crafts and friends it brings my way. 

xoxo

Happy Stitching!

No comments: