Sunday, February 21, 2021

Stitch it Good Wednesday Topics - Late!

Well hello!

I have already broken my New Year's Resolution of posting once a week following my radio show.  But I vow to get back to it!

This past week was a fairly quiet show due to the fact that I had recently received the second dose of the Covid Vaccine.  I'm feeling very well now and am so grateful for science and the possibility that we can once again start meeting with friends in person!

During last Wednesday's show I shared the concept of Wabi Sabi which is part of the Zen philosophy of impermanence.  Wabi Sabi has found a new life in our current culture as a way to recognize the value of "thing" contrary to our throw-away culture.  In my life I've incorporated this concept by repairing my clothes including sweaters, sweatshirts, jeans and accessories.  Sometimes an item is beyond repair and so it can be upcycled into something else entirely.  Jeans become a quilt, sweaters become mittens.  To learn more about the Wabi Sabi philosophy in Japanese culture, check out "wabi sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence" by Andrew Juniper.

With regard to upcycling, I recently became aware of two organizations that are taking fashion fabrics off the cutting room floor and turning them into something else.  FABSCRAP is a NYC-based non-profit that is taking textile waste and offering it to students, artists and others for reuse.  They also have a brick and mortar shop where one can shop for fabrics.  A local, Mercer based organization has been taking the knit fabrics (jersey, spandex, etc) from FABSCRAP and turning it into beautiful, one-of-a-kind blankets and accessories.  Inspired-Threads employs vulnerable community members to create each item and is days away from opening a workroom for their artists.  Be sure to visit their website to learn more and support their mission. 

As always, to view Stitch it Good playlists, visit this link for my recent shows.  Be sure to listen this week when I share some of my recent favorite books.

Happy Stitching.

xoxo

No comments: