Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What I've Been Doing

I have not written for a while. I've been busy with life and the blog has taken a back seat. I think about it often, wondering if its still out there and if anyone is reading it. The problem is that although I sew ALL the time, I do other things too. Things that I want to write about. Things that keep me busy and distracted and engaged. So in no particular order, here is what I have been doing:

Recovering from my triathlon. It was incredibly hard - aside from childbirth, the hardest thing I have ever done. The swim was cancelled because of too many CFUs in the river (don't ask) so instead I had to run/bike/run and it was beyond horrible. I cried. I would have quit except that Lucy was standing outside the transition area with a sign that said "Go Mommy Go". I wiped my tears, changed into my running shoes and hobbled another 3 miles to the finish line where Lucy stood, cheering me on. I cried some more. And I plan to do it again next year.

Reading. A lot. Crossing to Safety. Julie and Julia. A Homemade Life. Anne of Green Gables. Plus The New Yorker, Wall Street and Times (to remove the bad taste that the Wall Street Journal leaves).

Sewing. I have gotten kind of addicted to those coffee cozies and now my friends have put in "orders" as in Me: "Can I borrow a couple of bucks for coffee." Friend: "Sure, just pay me back me a cozy." Not a bad system really. And I'm also addicted to smocked summer dresses after seeing Heather Ross on MSL. The free pattern is great - do have it printed at Kinkos. So easy and worth the 5 or 6 bucks. Finally there's the Amy Butler bag that will (eventually) be a kit. I cut out all of the many many fabric pieces as well as the ridiculous number of interfacing pieces. I just need to fuse and sew and sew and sew. It will be a great bag and probably a fun class.

What else? Just life. My mother and father got divorced so my mom is cleaning out the house to sell it. Very strange actually. I guess that life moves on but I'm not ready for her to move, for some other family to live in the house, sleep in my room. I try not to think about it but my mom calls daily to see if I want this or that, should she sell the bolts of Ralph Lauren fabric or do I want them? And your toys, should we keep those? Do you want some china? My response is often to just sell it all and move on but move on.

But I'm no dummy - I am keeping the Rowan yarn and Liberty fabric.

No comments: